Myself, husband Allan and daughter Marissa are all whole food plant-based eaters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Our journey to a plant-based diet started when a friend was diagnosed with breast cancer at a relatively early age.   I began reading, researching and learning as much as I could about cancer and all of the evidence I came across seemed to point in one direction:  our consumption of meat and animal products appeared to turn the cancer gene on.  

Eventually I read T. Colin Campbell's book "The China Study" which clarified for me what I had learned in all my other research: that the cancer gene can be turned on and off by consuming, or not consuming, meat and animal products. Aside from the health concerns, being a lover of all things animal (even fabric animal prints!) helped to make the transition from carnivore to herbivore an easy decision.

In 2014 I decided to further my knowledge of eating plant-based by achieving a certificate in Plant Based Nutrition from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies through eCornell. 



 

 

 

 

 

2015 brought further studies with an Honours Certificate in Culinary Nutrition from the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program. 
The Culinary Nutrition program runs once a year, starting in September.  You can learn more and enroll by clicking the link below:

Our lifestyle incorporates more than eating whole food plant-based.  Staying active is also an important factor in warding off disease, illness and weight gain. What we eat is 80% of the equation for weight gain, and the other 20% is what amount of exercise we get.  Our bodies are made to move and if they don't, well, they won't behave optimally for us.  It's hard to feel good when your body won't cooperate with even simple moves like bending or stretching. 

Did you know that sitting is considered the new smoking in terms of heart disease and stroke? 

Two of the best things you can do for yourself is eat well and get exercise. 
Even three 10 minute walks a day can add up to better health.  We now know that exercise is cumulative, so if all you can get in is 10 minutes three times a day, guess what? You've gifted yourself a half an hour of exercise, and those 10 minutes chunks will hardly be noticed in your day. 

My own journey to losing weight and feeling great began with small steps in how I managed my eating habits, and fitting exercise into my daily routine.  I began with making changes to my eating habits and breaks and lunch at work become opportune times to walk.  I have been there, I know how difficult it can be to start, to know where to start and to need support to carry on.

Let me help you become your best self through food and fitness.  Check out the Work with Me! page for details.


         **Always consult your physician before starting any exercise program or before making any drastic changes to your eating habits.**

  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • w-facebook
  • w-blogger

Kicking Ass After 50
Ontario, Canada


 

© 2016 by Kicking Ass After 50

Follow me:

Please consult with your physician before starting any new nutrition or exercise programs.